1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, “Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be THANKFUL in ALL circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.”
There are so many reasons to be grateful, but it is also so easy to become distracted from what God has given us. We lose focus, become discontent and live life sometimes like we have very little. But, didn’t God wake us up this morning, and give us a day filled with warmth from the sun, and later that evening rain. We ate breakfast and put on clothes. We have family, friends, a home to keep us warm and dry and filled with things, but sometimes we just want more or better, and we often take them for granted. Our hearts should always be filled with gratitude for all the wonderful things He has given us, whether great or small.
A heart of gratitude leaves no room for complaining. It is impossible to be truly thankful and then also speak negativity and ungratefulness at the same time.
A heart filled with gratitude for all God has done for us invites Him to be with us daily. It opens the door for continual blessing. John 10:10b reminds us that Jesus came so that we would have and enjoy life in abundance to the full till it overflows. God loves to give good gifts to His children (Matthew 7:11) He so delights in our thankfulness that He pours out His Spirit and favour over those who give honour and gratitude to Him. (Psalm 84:11)
This came across my desk recently and it pulled me up. I thank God for what His hand gives me, but I can be remise in just being thankful for who He is. I’d thought I’d share it with you, and hopefully you too will be encouraged to remember to thank God for His abundance but also for who He is.
“Psalm 33 gives us 14 reasons to be truly grateful to God:
1. God’s Word holds true (verse 4)
2. He is completely trustworthy (4)
3. He loves justice and goodness (5)
4. His unfailing love fills the earth (5)
5. He is our Creator (6)
6. His words alone create (9)
7. He is against evil plans of men and nations (10)
8. His plans stand firm forever (11)
9. Nations which follow God’s principles are blessed (12)
10. The Lord is in control of the whole earth (13)
11. The Lord sees each man’s heart and understands us (14-15)
12. The Lord watches over those who fear him (18)
13. He saves us from hell (19)
14. He is our hope and shield (20)
(taken from: “1-Minute Bible Love Notes”)
There are endless reasons to be grateful to our Lord, for who He is and what He gives, and this list is a good beginning!